Marsden to Edale - Trigger Race
2021 Race Information
The race can only be entered by following the SI Entries link at the bottom of this section. Please read the following before entering:
1) We will check Previous Experience when you enter and you will initially be placed on a Pre-Selection list. We will aim to send out an email confirming your acceptance. 2) The race is £20 to enter FRA Members and £24 Non FRA members
To enter please use SI Entries - Trigger entries
Kit to be worn or carried:
Full waterproof jacket and bottoms (with taped seams), shoes suitable for fell running, long sleeved top, head torch, emergency bag, hat and gloves, map (the Dark Peak map which just excludes Marsden is acceptable) compass, whistle and some emergency food is the minimum kit.
There will be a full kit check before Registration giving everybody the chance to make sure they have the required kit. There will be spot checks on route and at the finish. The FRA have made it clear that not carrying the required kit will result in a ban from all fell races and we will uphold that policy.
In Marsden Cricket Club (SE 044 106 - just below the Golf Course) from 7am to 9.15am. Sportident dibber and Race number will be provided on the day. Do not park cars in the car park as this will be closed from midday. Toilets will hopefully be provided in the club house. It will be possible to transfer 25KG ONLY bags of kit to Edale - a van will be located before the Start lanes at Marsden Cricket ground.
1) VERY IMPORTANT: If you retire you must inform a marshall at a designated checkpoint
2) Number must be worn on the chest and shown to Marshalls at all checkpoints and the finish.
3) The Trigger is a GPS NOT ALLOWED race. You may set your watch to record your track but NOT for NAVIGATION.
4) No Dogs on route
Fieldhead Campsite at Edale (SK123 855) will be the finish. The bags transported from Marsden will be in a tent after the Finish Tent.
START: Road outside Marsden Cricket Field (SE 044 106) at 8.30am.
CP 1: Black Hill Trig (SE 078 046) ,
CP 2 2020 CHANGED CHECKPOINT AT CROWDEN due to Permissive footpath being shut we are moving the CP down the track onto a bridge and putting the road Out of Bounds (SK072 990 Cut off 11.00 hrs).
CP 3 Higher Shelf Trig (SK 088 947),
CP 4 Road crossing Snake Top (SK 088 929) Cut off 13.00 hrs ,
Leave Pennine Way at Point B
CP 5 Withins Clough / Path Junction (SK 077 906)
CP 6 Fence Corner (SK 066 900)
CP 7 Kinder Low Trig (SK 079 871)
FINISH Fieldhead Campsite Edale (SK123 855).
There are three road crossings; Wessenden, Crowden and Snake Top - it is the runner's responsibility to cross these roads safely.
CP's - There will be water only provided at Crowden and Snake Top.
IMPORTANT: Please note the following stipulations when reccying and on race day:
1) From the Start - Out of Bounds area
2) Black Hill / Sliddens. This map shows the three points on the Pennine Way and the three stiles. For 2021 you must use PW2 to Stile A - This is NOT FLAGGED and so make your own way across the moors between the two points.
3) Withins Clough area. To mitigate impact we have introduced a system as on Sliddens above. This map shows the three points leaving the Pennine Way and the points in Ashop Clough. For 2021 you must use B to 2. This is NOT FLAGGED and so make your own way across the moors between the two points.
4) Edale - the road is Out of Bounds - see map below. You must use the footpaths in the valley to the Finish.
5) This is a LINEAR ROUTE and runners are expected to make their own arrangements for transport to / from the Start (MARSDEN) and the Finish (EDALE).
As already mentioned all the profits from this race will go 100% to Woodhead Mountain Rescue. They will announce the amount raised within two weeks of the race and we will publish the figure on this website, on WMRT site and on Racekit.
In the unlikely event of bad weather the deciding factor on whether to postpone the race will be the condition of the A57 Snake Road. If it is closed then we cannot run the race however do not assume that because it is deemed "closed" on the traffic reports that we will automatically be cancelling the race. Woodhead MRT will recce the road on the Saturday and then we will email and post on all the forums / websites we have on Saturday 9th as soon as the decision is made.
If we cannot run the race, due to weather or Covid restrictions it will be cancelled and people will have the option of donating the entry fee to Mountain Rescue or getting a refund.